Thursday, May 1, 2008

Poems For Today - May 1

Troubadours at My Door
 
Troubadours knocking at my door –
Oh my!
                                               
They'd been traveling for days
In their little tour bus,
So I decided to "open up"
Troubadours are smart and jolly,
They're full of fun and folly.
And then, they rushed in
To the bathrooms –
Oh my!
                                               
They were hungry,
So a feast I prepared.
They were road-weary,
So lodging I snared.
They needed a venue,
So a park by the sea I found,
For their poems profound!
 
That festive night
We feasted, laughed, exhorted!                                                                                               
Some of them road-sick,
So they snorted!
Exhausted and tired
We all went to bed,
Next morning I rose to find
Troubadours sleeping on my floor –
Oh my!
                                               
They had many needs
That I tried to fulfill.
I kept going and going
Like climbing a hill.
Their enthusiasm contagious
Soon I would find myself
Onstage most outrageous –
Oh my!
 
We breakfasted and made a picnic
For our day in the park.
Then we loaded the bus
And were off on our lark.
Their poems were magnificent!
Out of sight!
So I invited them to stay
Another night –
Oh my!
 
So beat from the heat
And our poetry in the park,
We went out to eat
To a cafe before dark.
Then early to bed
And early to rise
I woke not surprised to find
Troubadours washing tangelos in my sink –
Oh my!
 
When it was time for them to go,
I was already missing them so.
I hugged them and kissed them
And wished them all well,
For they had more stops to make,
And more poems to tell.
Then they were gone!
The house so quiet,
But it looked like there'd been a riot –
Oh my!
 
So I set about straightening it,
And missing them, too,
Whilst cleaning the loo –
Oh my!
 
So, if you're caught up
In your daily strife,
Just let some Troubadours in,
And they'll change your life!
                                                                                          
– Janet Merritt Tooby
    04-27-08

No comments: